Your guide to getting a P&C Insurance License

If you’re interested in a career in property and casualty insurance, the first thing to know is that there are two different licenses you can get. One is for insurance agents who work in person with customers, and the other is for insurance brokers who don’t meet with their clients. The second thing to know is that these licenses can take some time—and money—to obtain. But once you have your license, opportunities abound.

This article will guide you through the steps on how to get p&c insurance license:

What is Property and Casualty Insurance?

Property and casualty insurance is a type of insurance that helps protect you from financial loss when you experience property damage, injuries, or death due to an accident. Property and casualty insurance includes several types of coverage, including:

  • Auto (including motorcycles)
  • Homeowners
  • Renter’s or Condo Association Insurance
  • Business Owners Policies (BOP)

You can buy P&C insurance through an agent or broker. An agent is someone who works for one company to sell its products and services. A broker sells products from different companies but doesn’t work directly for any one company.

Who Needs a Property and Casualty Insurance License?

If you’re an insurance agent, broker, adjuster, or specialist, you need a license. The same goes for insurance appraisers and risk managers. If you are an insurance underwriter working in the property and casualty industry, then this license is required by law.

To get a license, you will have to complete the required education, pass an exam, and meet other state requirements. You can also choose to become licensed in multiple states if you want to expand your business. The process of becoming licensed varies by state and is outlined below for each one.

How to Get a Property and Casualty Insurance License

So, you’re interested in getting a P&C insurance license. Great! There are some things you’ll need to do first:

  • Take the right courses. Your state may require you to take one or more specific courses on property valuation and loss control before issuing your license. You can find out which courses are required by visiting the website of the state department of insurance for your state or territory. Most states offer online resources for this purpose.
  • Pass a licensing exam. In most cases, if you meet all other criteria and have completed all necessary coursework, passing an exam will be necessary before you receive your license from your state’s department of insurance (or equivalent entity). The test usually consists of multiple choice questions about general insurance concepts and practices as well as laws related to selling policies in that particular jurisdiction; some also include essay questions related specifically to their specialty niches.

How Much Does an Insurance License Cost?

As mentioned earlier, the cost of getting a P&C insurance license varies from state to state.

The amount of money that each state requires their applicants to pay is quite different—and can vary by tens or even hundreds of dollars depending on where they are located. You should research how much each state charges before deciding where you want to live; otherwise, you might end up losing hundreds or even thousands of dollars unnecessarily!


Let’s face it; insurance is a boring topic. But don’t let that stop you from getting your license! Whether you want to become an independent agent or just get your foot in the door at a big company, having a property and casualty insurance license can open up many career possibilities. And with this guide, we hope to make the process easier for those interested in pursuing their dreams of becoming an insurance professional.

Related Articles

Back to top button